Monday 28 February 2011

Rachaels Comment


Having spent all day researching the governments Health Surveys 2005 and 2007 I have been amazed how many health problems and conditions are thought to either be preventable or greatly improved by simply eating healthily and leading an active lifestyle. Surely there must be more to staying disease free than not eating fried food and joining a gym? If it is honestly as easy as this then why are there so many people with lifelong conditions and illnesses?
Reading the research today it would appear that the so many of the health problems that affect people are directly caused by people’s lifestyle choices. We all know that smoking and drinking to excess causes harm to our bodies and that we should all eat a healthy diet and get an adequate amount of exercise to stay fit and healthy. We hear so much about how a huge obesity epidemic is sweeping the UK and the world at large, and how binge drinking is suddenly a huge problem for our teenagers and young adults. What is going to happen to all these people and to our healthcare system if these choices really do cause so many conditions later in life?
I always thought that a healthy lifestyle was mostly for external appearances and that it would probably at best give me nicer skin, hair and figure and allow me to keep up with my children now. Reading the reports today though it would appear that a whole lot more is at stake and that my ability to reach old age with my wits about me, my body intact and my ability to care for myself depends on what I eat and how much I exercise now. Maybe it is time to re-evaluate my lifestyle now before it is too late for me? I always try to eat healthily but that is more for vanities sake! If my ability to see my children grow up and be able to live an independent life in the future are at stake maybe I need to dig out those trainers now?

No comments:

Post a Comment