Monday 28 February 2011

Moments

Moments shape our lives, some moments are at the time that they happen seen as big moments, but later they are forgotten. Others pass us by unnoticed and some moments, only with hindsight become critical.


Today is the end of an era for me, for almost three and a half years tonight I do my last shift, doing a job I started while still at school, in a local gym. This job has progressed alongside my work with the StairSteady from just a lifeguarding post, to being able to teach classes, create programs and give advice to people about their fitness. Health is something that I am very passionate about and this job has become a big part of my life, shaping many of my days. I would work around my StairSteady day, starting at 6.30am and working through till 9.00am then the 3minute drive to my office. A StairSteady day till 5.25pm and then heading back to the gym for the evening 5.30pm to 8.30pm. It is a job that I have found a help and hindrance over the years; it shapes and controls my day, but helps me use my time to the best, to be organised. My car would often be full of many different items of clothing and equipment, different pairs of shoes and would seem to anyone who looked in it like I was away for the week, but despite all this I loved the job. I loved the members, the team, the place where I worked, but probably most of all the classes. I loved to teach and to see others get the most out of their time in the gym. Even my weekends were organised around my shifts, runs in the morning before and 8.00am start, spending journeys planning my next circuits or fighting fits. So many days I have seen the sun rise over the running track and it has made me feel so glad to be there, in that moment, in that place.



Today however it is my last shift and I thought that it was only fit the mark this ‘moment’, which even without hindsight I can tell is significant for me. I am thankful for all the things that the gym has taught me about life, the industry and about myself. I know that I can be a morning person- even if I am not one naturally. That I like to be busy, have structure and to be organised, but that I need moments to ‘pause’ and ‘think’- some of my best ideas come when I am folding towels. I have learnt what it is like to work for someone (something my parents were very keen that I do) and I have seen firsthand the benefits of a healthy body and mind set. Why are you leaving, you may be thinking? Well that bit is not in my power to change, they gym is changing the way that it works and it is time for me to move on and I am seeing this as an opportunity.



I always knew that 2011 would hold great things and this is just one of them. I need to walk away from my security blanket of structure and create my own structure. To trust in myself to provide the organisation and inspiration and to find my own moment of ‘pause’. This is a challenge that I am very excited about. New doors are opening, new projects that I am very excited to be involved with. I will be able to commit more time to some of the things that I already do but I am hoping to expand my horizons, just as the StairSteady is doing, so I hope that my life both personally and in business will move on from this ‘moment’ in a positive and creative way. This moment for me is a new start....and boy am I excited!

4 comments:

  1. Exciting times for you Ruth. Thanks for sharing this. It sounds as though it's hard to move on but always good to look forward to the future and hold on to the happy memories of the past. This something that rings very true to me right now as I make my move down to London. Katy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, yes it still hasnt really sunk in that i wont work there again after tonight, but i have so many things that i am going to do with my spare time that i cannot wait. London will be so much fun, are you excited? Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruth I felt compelled to tweet you as I haven't caught up properly and saw it was your last day today. Hope it's a good one you will have inspired so many to be fit and most importantly keep fit. You are such an inspiration for me and I am thrilled to have a mentor more than twice younger than I am. Go fly Ruth you will soar.
    Much Love
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you :) thats very sweet and you look like my sister so i must be doing a good job.
    Ruth x

    ReplyDelete