Friday 5 November 2010

Inspirational Magazine


i was asked to write an article for Inspirational Magazine,


and for those that cant see the link, here is the text:

You never hear a man being asked what it’s like ‘being a man in business’ and yet in interviews people always ask me what it’s like being a woman in business or engineering. I don’t mind them asking but often it’s asked as if it was a hindrance, as if because of this reason I must find everyday a struggle.
At the age of sixteen when I first started my business I found that odd. For me living with my mother, who is a true representation of all things inspiring, meant that I never experienced any sort of gender inequality. Growing up in a world where my mother could keep down a job, clean the house, cook the tea, study for a master (and then a doctorate), run us around to our various hobbies and still have time to be a pillar of the community meant that by the age of sixteen I was in no doubt that it was a woman’s world.
This all meant that when, while doing my GCSE resistant materials, I got entered into the Young Engineer For Britain competition and then won I was thrown into a world of gender stereotyping. My first experience of being treated differently came the morning after I won the award. With no sleep and a lot of adrenaline I was doing a morning of interviews (which to a sixteen year old was bizarre to say the least). My first interview was with radio5live ‘the money programme’ and as I entered the studio and realised I was not only a) the only woman, but b) the youngest by at least two decades, I should have been prepared for a little bit of gender bashing. This however did not even cross my mind, I was on a real buzz after winning the award. The question that shocked me was one of the first of my three minute interview, that went along the lines of ‘so Ruth, why engineering? You look like so many others that want to media studies’. Well! I was shocked by such blatant bit of stereotyping and after what seemed like five minutes (although when you listen back it is only a couple of seconds) I fought my corner for women in whatever field they wanted to succeed in.
After my first encounter with these opinions I encountered many more from, being too young for business banking to comments about dressing too much like a woman. However, as the years went on I learnt to embrace, as my mother had, the joys of being a women in what was perceived by outsiders and the media as a man’s world. I found I had a lot more media attention, I relished in the comment ‘you don’t look like an engineer..’ or ‘ you run your own business, at YOUR age..’
I found that in my own little way I was breaking down barriers. I make a conscious decision not to change the way I dressed to fall into step behind the men and to enjoy the fact that I was a women doing what I enjoyed. Being a women in whatever field you choose to work in does not change that fundamentally that you are a women, I find that companies run by women are often run in slightly different ways to male led organisation, and I like that, it does not mean that they are any less successful. Oh and just because I think women should embrace being women does not mean that I think we should trample and stamp out all the men, I just like it when there is a balance.
Although I am sure there will come a day when men are asked ‘How do you find it being a man in business?’.



Hope your all having a good day,
Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment