Monday 2 November 2009

Your Fired!

So last week was a busy week, on Wednesday afternoon i went along to Nottingham University to take part in a question and answer session with the one and only Sir Alan.... I mean Lord Sugar.

It was an opportunity to ask the Entrepreneurial Czar his opinions on our businesses, and although I didn’t ask a question I found it very informative. Sir Alan Lord Sugar was very informative and straight talking.

Here are just a few pearls of wisdom:
· Editorial is worth its weight in gold
· Recruit using staff you have, they know people with the skills set you want
· Look at the money weekly be focused
· Never have just one customer
· Play to you strengths (he was very blunt about his own successes and failures)


A few funny sayings from Lord Sugar that I found particularly amusing, useful or interesting:
· Ten to fifteen years ago we lived in a Mickey mouse Disney world with the banks
· At one time anyone with his top button undone, a bottle of Evian and a sheet with ‘.com’ at the top was given 5 million from the banks, that can’t be right!
· This is your wakeup time!
· Deal with it!
· Play the game in this moment
· Can we get to the question!
· Show me the Money!
· I Literally wouldn’t give up your day job! (to a guy setting up a business)
It ended up being like the apprentice meets dragons den, I found it a very interesting insight into business but especially Lord Sugar, and I left wondering how a man so down to earth had ever been persuaded to do a TV show.

No comments:

Post a Comment